Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Uneventful Day

Today at work was just a lot of paperwork. Getting files and documents I will need to continue doing my job down on the ice.
I did learn a lot about "Solar Power" generation though today. What the different major parts are for putting together a system that will support it self. Solar Power cells, inverters to generate AC from the 12VDC, Charge controller for supplying a steady DC voltage for battery power and battery charging, low voltage disconnect for when the sun doesn't shine enough to generate what you need so automatically disconnects the load from the source. Pretty cool stuff. Figured out I can have a system for the house that will store 2k Amp/Hours AND the excess that I don't use from 3KWH will turn my meter backwards essentially causing the power company to pay me at their rate. Whole system would cost about $17,000 and I would install it. I checked on line and to have it installed would cost me in excess of $35,000.

My Columbia, cold weather boots showed up today from Gander Mountain. Rated down to -25F. And waterproof on the lower half, breathes on the upper half. Nice "Hikers" and fit good. Also dug out my two sea-bags from the military with the shoulder straps (worn as a backpack) to pack my gear in. Can't go wrong with "Sea-Bags"!! Found tags on them from a trip to Disney World back in 1994. Other tags were from Waukesha Wisconsin, 1990, probably mine and Kim's Honeymoon. Tags from the tip to Saudi Arabia in 1996-1998 and Dominican republic in 1990-1993.

Found out a couple days ago on Facebook my high school class is having a general "All Call" reunion in New Mexico. Wanted to go but can't this time around. Hopefully I will be around for the next one. Hard to believe it's been 33 years :P

My last weekend is coming up fast. We have even arranged to get rid of the kids for a couple days to go on a bike trip, go out for some good Indian cuisine and of course, more last minute shopping. Still need misc. crap. Sewing kit, tooth brush and soap containers, floss, tooth paste, extra laces for all my shoes (McMurdo sits on the side of an active volcano, Mt. Erebus) as the whole area is nothing but volcanic rock and dust. Eats up clothes and shoe laces at a high rate from what I'm told. Need a couple web belts so I don't have to worry about adjusting them if I eat too much and don't exercise enough! Heh.

Worked a bit on Kim's shelves again, stained the dowels I am using to affix the molding. Will finish it tomorrow. Everything is progressing at a decent rate, not a rush yet and shouldn't be if I keep doing things that need to get done every day.

Supposedly we have a "Winfly" (Winter Fly in) orientation on Saturday. Not sure if I'm going to make that one. Don't feel I should be heading in to work on a Sat during vacation. Will find out if I haven't already dione it as I've done about 8 hours of classes and orientation for heading south already.

Signing off!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guess this is the comment form. Feel free! I can always delete any I don't like :)